Tuesday, July 29, 2008

DMin

Much of the first month of my sabbatical has been spent preparing for a couple of DMin classes I'm taking in August and September. The August class is about developing leaders, and the September class is about developing yourself. Both are necessary for effective bivocational ministry.

Bivocational ministers simply do not have time to do all the work that needs to be done in a church. Even if they did, it would not be biblical, and they would be depriving others in the church from the opportunity to use their gifts for ministry. Developing others in the church to do ministry should be one of the top priorities of a bivocational minister. Think about it like this: If you are the only person in the church doing ministry then there is one person doing ministry in one place and any given time. However, if you develop twenty other people in your church to use the gifts God has already given them, and they are doing ministry, your church now has 2o people ministering in 20 different places at a time. Which do you think is better?

It is also important that we continue to develop ourselves. I began pastoral ministry in 1981. I still remember how excited I was to serve God in that way. However, after a while ministry can become routine. The excitement begins to dim. It is very easy for a minister to coast and fall into a rut. Our people may be content with our faithfulness, but deep down we know we could do better.

God calls us to a life of continual growth. We can take the people He's given us only as far as we have traveled ourselves. It is important that we stay on the cutting edge of ministry, but it's even more important that we maintain a close relationship with God. I often say in my workshops that God called us to be something before He called us to do something. Our best ministry will flow out of a growing relationship with God.

Two questions. (1) Are you developing leaders in your church? (2) Are you continually developing yourself through a growing relationship with Jesus Christ?

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Just curious, Dennis - Where are you doing your D.Min.? I am a bivocational youth minister and considering doing a doctorate in a few years, so I thought I would ask. Thanks....

Dennis Bickers said...

Hi Jeff,

I'm doing my DMin at Liberty Theological Seminary. It's a good program, and it's less expensive than others I looked at. They require eight classes, three of which are required. You are free to choose which other five classes you want to take. At the end is the thesis. Each class is an intensive that lasts one week. There are pre-class and post-class assignments. It is really designed to work in anybody's schedule. Each class has really stressed me, but when they were over I felt I learned and grew as a result of taking it. There are a lot of good programs available, so take your time and select one that will be a good fit for you.