Wednesday, December 20, 2017

A baby changes everything

"And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.”  Luke 1:31

(Also, read Luke 2:1-40)

Have you ever fallen in love with a baby?  When was your first time?  I remember the first time I fell in love with a baby.  It was 2003 when my nephew made me an aunt for the first time.  I never thought you could feel that way over someone so tiny.  I was completely smitten.  Every time I thought of Nathan my face would light up with joy.  I had pictures of him everywhere, including my bathroom.  (Okay, I know that might be a little weird, but the cute little frame matched my bathroom decor.) 
 
I can’t imagine what Mary first felt when she laid eyes on the newborn King.  Did she ever feel inadequate, as many moms sometimes do? It’s hard enough to parent each special creation of God (as every child is), but I can’t imagine trying to parent the Savior of the world!  I would have loved to have been one of the shepherds, Simeon or even Anna who got to lay eyes on Jesus when he was just a baby.  How there hearts must have been ready to burst with such love, joy, peace and hope!

This Christmas, I invite you to fall in love with Jesus all over again. Imagine being there in the manger and what you might have felt.  Imagine what it would have been like to have been Joseph, Mary, a humble shepherd, Anna or Simeon.


“Simeon took him [Jesus] in his arms and praised God, saying: ‘Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace.  For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all people, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.’”   Luke 2:28-32

Kelly Rector
Children's Minister
Madison FBC

No comments: