Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Denominational decline

Our judicatory has its monthly staff meeting tomorrow, and one of the agenda items is a discussion of a couple of recent articles that address the decline of denominations, and especially middle judicatories.  I don't think there is much question that we live in a time when churches have much less connection with their denomination, and in the nine years I've been on our region staff I have seen some of our churches separate themselves from our region.  Attendance at association and region events has declined dramatically over the past few years.  I serve seven associations, and some of them no longer have annual meetings due to the limited participation over the years, and others are considering abandoning their association meetings.  Giving to support denominational missions is also down.  While I think denominations and judicatories still have much to offer their churches, I also believe that we will see churches place less and less importance in these organizations unless major changes are made.

Our readers come from a wide variety of denominations.  What kind of relationship do you and your church have with your denomination?  Is your personal relationship with your denomination any different than the one your church has?  If you are a bivocational church leader, do you think the fact that you are bivocational has any impact on that relationship?  What would you like to see your denomination and/or judicatory do that it is not currently doing?  If you identify several things, what is the one thing that would add the most value to you or your church?  Are there some things you wish your denomination would stop doing?  If you currently have a limited involvement with your denomination or judicatory, what could they do to strengthen your relationship with them?

Here is a great opportunity for you to be heard on this important issue so I hope you'll take some time to answer some of these questions.

2 comments:

C said...

Until you used the word "Judicatory" I assumed you were Southern Baptist, not American Baptist!

Would you like some of your information to appear appear on MainlineCall.org? If so contact me and I'll see what I can do... I'm the webmaster there!

Chuck

Dennis Bickers said...

Hi Chuck,

You found out my secret! A lot of people think I'm Southern Baptist including some of my American Baptist colleagues! Actually, I speak to so many different denominational groups that sometimes even I forget what I am!

I would be honored to have my information on MainlineCall.org. You have a number of people involved there that I really respect, and if my material could be an asset there I would be more than happy to make it available. Just let me know what I need to do. Thanks.