Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What do you need?

In recent weeks I've had some telephone and e-mail conversations with denominational leaders about training opportunities for bivocational ministers.  We've been able to share with one another the things that have worked in our specific regions, and we've talked about developing additional training.  As I prayed a few minutes ago I was struck by the thought that one thing we haven't done is ask you what you need to feel better equipped to do your ministry.  So...I'm asking.

What are the areas of ministry in which you feel you need the most help?  What type of training material or programs would best help you feel more comfortable doing ministry?  Let's move beyond ministry for a moment and ask what areas outside of ministry do you feel you need help?  Let me be very pointed with some questions.  How is your relationship with your family?  Are they enthused about your ministry or do they sometimes feel that it interferes with family life?  How are your finances?  How is your relationship with God these days?  Be very honest now...how are you doing?  Are you practicing good self-care?

I really want to know, and I want to be here for you.  I wouldn't do all the things I do if I didn't have a passion for bivocational ministry and those who serve in that role.  I can sit behind my computer screen and think of my own bivocational pastorate and assume that the needs I had are the same ones you have and be completely wrong.  The group with whom I'm talking can discuss all the things we want to do to help bivocational ministers, but if we don't ask then how we can best do that we're just guessing and likely to miss the mark.  Your ministry is too important for that to happen.  So, I need to know if I'm going to be able to provide asssistance that will add true value to your ministry.  If you don't want to share in the comments section, send me an e-mail.  I hope to hear from you soon.

No comments: