Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The pastor's library

I've written numerous times about how important a good library is for a minister. When I first began my ministry in 1981 my books would fit in a three foot section of one book shelf. As I sit here typing this I am looking at five seven foot tall bookshelves filled to overflowing plus two four foot bookshelves also filled. I realize some ministers have basements filled with bookshelves, but I feel pretty good about the books I've accumulated as a bivocational minister. Plus, I've given away and sold around 100 of my ministry-related books over the years.

Of course, at some point this becomes a problem. In a couple of months I will turn 70 years old. I am nearing the end of a term as the Transitional Pastor of a nearby church and have no idea if another similar ministry will be offered to me. I keep telling my wife I don't want her stuck with these books, and yet I struggle getting rid of most of them...just in case!

Recently I was talking to the wife of a pastor friend of mine. He has retired but is serving as an interim pastor. When they moved from their parsonage she gave away many of his books and boxed up the rest. He now has to tell her if he needs certain books so she can get them for him. As she explained, they moved into a much smaller house, and it wasn't possible for him to have shelves for his books. Maybe I just need to downsize to force myself to part with most of my library!

At some point I'll find a solution that makes sense and is one I can live with. Until then, I encourage you younger readers to invest in good books. I realize books are expensive today, but they still make a great investment for anyone involved in ministry. Don't be afraid to invest in quality books written by respected authors that speak to challenges you or your church are facing or that address issues important to you.

I also encourage you to not limit your reading to theology and ministry related books. To be effective in ministry it's important to understand people and the things that impact their lives. I have a number of books that focus on business issues, secular leadership, personal finance, and understanding the reasons people act and think as they do. I not only want to be able to exegete the Scriptures; I want to be able to exegete our culture as well so I can speak to it.

Earlier this year I boxed up some of my books, cut my name off the front page and sold the box at one of my auctions. About a month ago I stopped at a yard sale and found 2-3 of those books in the sale. I checked, and there was the place where I had cut out my name so I knew they were my books. I did a quick calculation and decided I had paid about $200.00 for the books in that box. It sold for about $5.00, and now the books are showing up in yard sales! There's a lot about that which could upset me, but it didn't. My prayer is that God will bring those books into the lives of people who need to read the material found in them. If reading those books transforms their lives that will be far better than them remaining on my shelves gathering dust until I decide to read them again.

No comments: