When McIntosh asked new converts to Christianity to name the factors of the pastor's ministry that led them to the church they now attend they identified five.
- Preaching that teaches and applies to life
- Authenticity of the pastor
- Personal contact by the pastor
- Pastor's sense of humor
- Pastor's leadership skills.
If a pastor is serious about evangelism, what are the ways he or she can increase his or her effectiveness? Again, McIntosh shares several ideas.
- Maintain your passion for evangelism. If the pastor is not passionate about evangelism the church will also not have that passion.
- Build relationships with unbelievers and spend time with them.
- Pray every day for the salvation of people in your family and others with whom you have a relationship.
- Create casual forums for spiritual conversations.
- Preach regularly on salvation and the need people have for a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Begin a class that will train 10 percent of your people each year in evangelism.
- Continually work to improve your preaching and public speaking.