Wednesday, August 12, 2015

What am I reading?

People often ask what I'm reading so occasionally I like to share my current reading in this blog.

My devotional reading right now is Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt. It has been a long time since a book has challenged me the way this book has. For many of us, our Christianity is more influenced by our culture than the Scriptures. Platt takes us back to the Scriptures and encourages us to not only believe what the Scriptures teach but to put that into practice. He then shares stories of people who are doing just that. My biggest regret is that I have not read this book sooner.

Another book I'm reading is Business Secrets from the Bible: Spiritual Success Strategies for Financial Abundance by Rabbi Daniel Lapin. Rabbi Lapin shares insights into business and financial success from the Bible and Jewish wisdom. This is not a "get-rich-quick" book nor is it one that would be promoted by the prosperity preachers. The book focuses on being a person of integrity, serving others, being faithful stewards, avoiding debt, sound planning and other strategies that leads to a successful life.

On my bookshelf right now waiting their turn is The Pastor Theologian: Resurrecting an Ancient Vision by Gerald Hiestand and Todd Wilson, Think Like a Freak: The Authors of Freakonomics Offer to Retrain Your Brain by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner, and Re:Vision: The Key to Transforming Your Church by Aubrey Malphurs.

Books that I've recently completed include Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in Everyday Life by Eugene Peterson, Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us by Seth Godin, and The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller. I enjoyed each of these books and learned from each of them. If you're looking for something to read you may want to check out these books.

No comments: