Sunday, August 22, 2010

Personal Development

Almost every profession requires its participants to continue to develop personally and professionally.  When my daughter was working as an RN in a hospital she had to have a certain number of hours of training each year to maintain her credentials.  The same is true of doctors, lawyers, and even air conditioning repairmen in some states.  It has always seemed odd to me that there doesn't seem to be that same requirement for those of us in ministry.

Some might argue that ministry isn't a profession, it's a calling.  I can agree with that, but I would also reply that it is a calling with serious responsibilities.  The air conditioning repairmen who worked for my company had to have a certain number of hours of training each year to maintain their license, but the only thing they had to worry about was keeping people cool in the summer.  We in ministry are responsible for much more than that.  We have been called to lead churches or ministries in the fulfillment of the vision that God has for them.  At the same time, we have a  responsibility to minister to the needs of the people who are involved in the lives of our churches and ministries.  Those needs often include such things as spiritual needs, physical needs, emotional needs, relational needs, social needs, psychological needs, and financial needs.  There are experts who specialize in each of these areas, but we in ministry are expected to at least be able to address these needs when they exist in the lives of our congregations.

New information comes available in each of these fields each year, and we have an obligation to stay current with as much of that information as possible.  That requires regular reading in these areas and attending at least one or two conferences a year that will help you stay current with the new material that exists in these areas.  I think this also includes joining organizations that are committed to providing you with the latest information available.

That's why I'm glad to report I recently joined two organizations that are related to each other but offer exciting information in their fields.  I renewed my membership with the American Assocation of Christian Counselors (AACC) and also joined the Christian Coaching Alliance (CCA).  My membership in the AACC allows me to receive the organization's magazine, newsletter, and counseling CDs.  I have found these resources provide me with excellent resources and the information I need to be a better Christian leader.  My membership in the CCA will provide me with another newsletter and MP3 downloads that will assist me in my coaching ministry.

I do not consider myself to be a counselor, but no one can be a minister and not counsel people occasionally.  I am not a trained counselor and would not engage in long-term counseling with anyone, but I do want to be aware of things to look for so I can make appropriate referrals and provide short-term assistance to hurting people.  I am involved in Christian coaching and believe that my membership in the CCA will give me new resources and tools to improve my coaching and allow me to better serve those who use my services. 

I have often challenged the readers of this blog to be involved in intentional personal development.  I want you to know that I practice what I preach, and this is just one more way I am being intentional about my personal and professional growth.

As we approach the end of summer, what have you done this year for your own personal development?  It's not too late to take a class, attend a workshop, read some books, or hire a coach.  Let me encourage you once again, be intentional about your personal growth.  It will pay you great dividends.

No comments: