Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goals vs resolutions

I stopped making new year's resolutions several years ago when I found I consistently broke most of them by noon on new year's day! However, I do set some goals at the beginning of each year, and I take these goals very seriously. A few years ago I began using a goal setting form that Zig Ziglar's company produces. Not only do you write out your goal, but you also write out why you've established this particular goal, a list of people you will need to help you achieve it, potential obstacles, and new things you may need to learn to achieve the goal. Finally, this form requires you to write out the action steps you need to take to achieve the goal. I like using this form because it forces you to think through the goal rather than just writing down something you might want to accomplish.

I develop goals for my personal life, my family life, and my ministry. These goals may include financial targets, vacation plans, educational goals, and anything else I want to accomplish in the new year. For instance, one of my goals for 2009 is to complete my DMin. In order to do this I need to take two more classes, which I will take in January and March, and write my thesis. Another goal for this year is for my wife and I to take at least one vacation by ourselves. When you have children and grandchildren living in different parts of the country it is easy to plan vacations to visit them, but this year I want to make sure my wife and I have a week to ourselves. We will sit down in the next few weeks and schedule a week for that vacation. I have several other goals as well for the new year.

I learned a long time ago that writing one's goals was the first step to achieving them. An unwritten goal is usually just wishful thinking. Something happens when that goal is put on paper. I keep the goals in front of me so I don't forget about them. A few years ago I spent some time every evening evaluating what I had done to accomplish my goals that day. I did this every day for four years until it became second nature to me. It really helps keep me focused on achieving them.

What about you? What are your goals for 2009? Do they include your family, your church, your personal development, and anything else that may be important to you right now? Are they written down? Do you have specific plans for how you'll achieve them? Do your goals include both short term and long term goals? I believe goal setting is one of the most effective things you can do to ensure a productive year. Without goals you're apt to just drift along hoping something good will happen, but with some clear goals in mind you can be working to make good things happen in your life. If you need help in setting your goals feel free to contact me.

No comments: