Monday, June 11, 2018

The future of denominations

For years we've been hearing that denominations will soon cease to exist. It's true that there is far less loyalty to denominations today than existed in the past. When I was growing up we moved several times, and each time we found a Baptist church nearby to attend. The denominational label is not what people initially look for today.

Many denominations report declining memberships. Some have reduced staff and mission work due to declining budgets. I've talked with several pastors who tell me their denominations do not offer the support they once did.

While these are realities I do not believe they predict the end of denominations. Perhaps some will merge with other denominations, but in the end we will continue to see denominational life continue.

Last week I had the opportunity to hear Dr. Lee Spitzer, General Secretary of the American Baptist Churches USA. Lee was called to this position about a year ago. He wanted to meet with pastors and church leaders to hear their stories and to share some of what the ABCUSA is doing today. His first stop was in our region of Indiana.

I've known Lee for several years. Although we've only had limited contact I know him to be a man who has a strong commitment to the Great Commission and to local churches. For that alone I expressed to him how pleased I was he was called to lead our denomination.

As he shared stories of wonderful things happening in many of our churches and across the mission field I was reminded this is why we are part of a denomination. Even the strongest megachurches cannot do everything a denomination of churches can do in as many places. It is our coming together to combine our talents and our treasures that enable us to send missionaries around the world and enter into partnership agreements with other denominations to do ministry together. The 90 minutes we were together went by too quickly as I enjoyed hearing the stories of how God is moving in and through our denomination.

Some pastors and churches question why they remain a part of their denomination. Not knowing every situation I cannot answer their questions, but I can say that I am glad to be a part of a denomination that is actively seeking to fulfill the Great Commission and have a positive impact for the Kingdom of God throughout the world.

Our denomination is not perfect. No human organization is, but I see God working through our various ministries to transform the lives of people around the world. That is something I want to be a part of for as long as I live.

No comments: