Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Top 10 books of 2017 I

One of my goals for every year is to read 50 books. This year I missed it by three. Each year at this time I like to share my 10 favorite books from that year's reading. Today and tomorrow I will share that list. You will note that several of them are books on apologetics. That has been a focus of mine for the past few years, and 2017 was no exception. In today's post I'll mention five of the books and share the other five tomorrow. They are in no particular order.

Moral Apologetics for Contemporary Christians by Mark Coppenger. The author is a professor of Christian Apologetics at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Christianity has no shortage of critics in today's times. This book pushes back at those critics to demonstrate the moral superiority of Christian belief.

Goliath Must Fall by Louis Giglio. We all face giants in our lives that rob us of the life God desires for us to enjoy. Giglio reminds us that defeating those giants requires us to keep our eyes on Jesus.

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albon. I seldom read novels, but two of them made my top 10 list this year. I found this book told a fascinating tale of a man condemned to spend his time in a cave for centuries listening to voices asking for more time. His involvement with two individuals led to him saving their lives and his as well.

The Noticer by Andy Andrews. This is the other novel I found fascinating. It involves the story of an old drifter who notices things that others do not. As he shares his "perspective" on what is going on in people's lives they find the hope they need to turn their lives around.

Deep and Wide: Creating Churches Unchurched People Love to Attend by Andy Stanley. Personally, I'm not comfortable with everything Stanley writes in this book, but that's the problem isn't it? We think it's all about us, and it's not. Perhaps one reason more of our churches are not reaching the unchurched is that we are not willing to give up our comfort level. This book will challenge you.

No comments: