Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The unseen work of the pastor

In the past I've mentioned how much Eugene Peterson's book Working the Angles: The Shape of Pastoral Integrity has impacted my ministry. Like many pastors, I enjoy the public aspect of ministry: preaching, teaching, leading. These are where my spiritual gifts lie, and it's here that I'm most comfortable. These are also the things that serve as the basis for how congregations judge their pastors. However, Peterson points out in his book that the real work of ministry is found in the angles of ministry which supports the visible, public aspects of ministry. He identifies these angles as prayer, scripture reading, and spiritual direction.

Peterson writes "Spiritual direction takes place when two people agree to give their full attention to what God is doing in one (or both) of their lives and seek to respond in faith." Recently, a fair amount of my ministry has focused on providing such direction as I've been involved in helping an individual discern God's call on his life and how to best pursue that. Another individual has talked to me about feeling overwhelmed with issues and questions about future steps he should take in his life. Other individuals have recently approached me needing spiritual direction in their lives as well.

Some pastors approach such questions by taking on the role of a counselor. I'm not sure that's wise because, frankly, most pastors have never been trained to do counseling. One seminary class on pastoral care does not make one a counselor. However, a minister can provide spiritual direction.

Any pastor can listen. Any pastor can take seriously a person's request to pray for them. Any pastor can provide spiritual direction.

The problem is that spiritual direction takes time away from other tasks that we think demands the pastor's attention. It can interfere with a pastor's study time or the time he or she spends planning for endless meetings. Because much spiritual direction is done in private it doesn't lead to public affirmation by the larger church body.

As I said earlier, I enjoy the public aspects of ministry and find that my primary gifts are in those areas. However, as I reflect back over 37 years of ministry some of my most rewarding times are found when I was providing spiritual direction to individuals. I regret not setting aside time to do more of it.

If you've never read Peterson's book I highly recommend it. You may find it will shape your future ministry more than you might imagine.

No comments: