Friday, January 5, 2018

New books for a new year

The past couple of days I shared my top 10 favorite reads for 2017. Today I want to let you know what I'm reading now and some of the books on my to-read shelf. The books I'm currently reading are

Knowledge and Christian Belief by Alvin Plantinga. The author is  Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at Notre Dame. The majority of his books are written for fellow academics. I heard this was one written for the general reader. I definitely do not want to read any he wrote for academics! Although I find this a difficult read, it has been one that is most interesting and helpful.

Whatever Became of Sin by Karl Menninger. This book was written in 1973. Menninger illustrates how many of the things that were once called sins became illegal acts. This made those acts subject to the courts rather than the church. Later, another shift occurred when many of these acts were classified as diseases. When this occurred the person committing the acts came under the care of the doctors and psychologists. Each of these shifts removed the act further and further away from being an act of transgression against the commandments of God. I do not agree with everything the author discusses in the book, but it does help me better understand why many people now reject any notion that they are sinners in need of a Savior.

Ghosts in the Fog by Samantha Seiple. For decades the US government denied reports that the Japanese invaded Alaska during World War II. This book tells the story of this invasion. I am finding it an incredible story and read about half of the book in one sitting.

Some of the books on my to-read shelf are

Surprised by Hope by N. T. Wright
Praying the 23rd Psalm by Elmer Towns
Night by Elie Wiesel

I also plan to re-read a number of books in my library this year. It's time to revisit some of the books that have impacted my life in the past to see if I can glean some new nuggets of gold from them.

I hope you have a reading plan for 2018.

No comments: