Friday, October 21, 2016

Read through the Bible in 2017

Every year I read through the New Testament and every few years I read through the entire Bible. It's a great discipline, and it helps Christians grow in their faith. There are passages that I've read many times, but as I'm reading them again some of them will almost jump off the page at me with new insights I had not previously seen.

It's much easier to read through the Bible in a year than many people think. Basically, you only have to read three chapters a day to read through the entire Bible in a year's time. For most chapters that would only be about 15 minutes of reading. With some of the Psalms you can read three chapters in about two minutes. When I get to them I usually read a few extra to help me when I get to Psalm 119!

Remember, this isn't Bible study. This is reading, so you can go a little quicker than if you were studying the passages. Sometimes I will go back and spend time studying a passage I just read, especially if I did find some new insights there, but this is after I've finished my reading.

Another thing I often do is to buy a new Bible for my reading, usually a different version than I've read before. I often pick one that is a more modern version as they are easier to read. Sometimes when a passage is worded a little differently a new insight is revealed. This also adds to my collection of Bibles which can help me later when I am doing sermon preparation. Finally, it allows me to mark up a new Bible. When I read through something I've previously read and marked I tend to focus primarily on the marked sections which can cause me to overlook something new.

In many parts of the world owning and reading a Bible is forbidden by law. We in America have a tremendous opportunity to study the Scriptures due to our freedoms. It is a shame that so many do not take advantage of this freedom.

God told Joshua in Joshua 1: 8 "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success." This promise was not limited to Joshua but given to all who will read and study the Bible.

I've decided to make 2017 another year to read through the entire Bible, and I invite you to join me. If you want, buy a new translation you've not read before and prepare for an adventure reading God Word. You'll find reading three chapters a day is not difficult to achieve, and you will be amazed at the spiritual growth you'll experience.

No comments: