Monday, February 3, 2014

Worship with The Freedom Quartet

Yesterday I had the privilege of attending Switzerland Baptist Church in Vevay, Indiana where the Freedom Quartet was leading worship.  I first became acquainted with this group a few years ago when they were a trio.  After some personnel changes they have become a Southern Gospel Quartet that is one of the most talented I have ever heard.  John Rulapaugh, who has become a friend of mine over the years we have known each other, sings tenor.  Burman Porter sings bass.  Dale Shipley is their lead singer, and Preston Garner sings baritone.  If you are familiar with Southern Gospel music these are names that will be familiar to you as these individuals have sung with some of the top groups in the country.

Those who know me know that I dearly enjoy Southern Gospel music.  For many years my wife and I had permanent seats at the annual Southern Gospel Quartet Convention.  That gave me the opportunity to hear the top groups in the nation many times, and I will tell you that the Freedom Quartet is as good as any I have heard.   I enjoyed them as a trio, but I believe they are even better as a quartet.

However, talent only goes so far when it comes to ministry.  For me, the thing that sets this group apart from many others is that when they are on stage they do more than just perform; they lead the audience in worship.  Yes, they are talented.  Yes, they are entertaining.  But, more important than either of those two is that they lead people in worship.  There are many talented, entertaining groups out there, but not all of them will lead you in worship.  Freedom Quartet leads worship.  I left the service yesterday feeling like I had been taken into the presence of God.

By now, some of you may be wondering if I am now their booking agent.  I can assure you I am not.  I do not receive one dime from any bookings they get.  They don't need me to try to drum up business for them.  I just believe when we find something good we should share it with others.  I had a great time of worship yesterday with some real fine folks from Tennessee.

If you would like to schedule them for a worship service or some other event you are hosting, you can get more information at www.freedomquartet.com

No comments: