Thursday, January 23, 2014

How should we dress in the pulpit?

A few months ago I preached in a church that had a traditional and a contemporary worship service.  For the traditional service I wore a suit and tie.  During the interim period between services I removed the tie but left on the suit jacket.  No one said a word that day, but later in the week I encountered one of the older members of the church who attended the contemporary service.  He said, "Sir, when you preach you should always wear a tie."  I made an off-hand comment and went on my way.  When the pastor returned the next week I told him of the gentlemen's comment.  The pastor said he learned he could take his coat off for the second service, but he always kept his tie on.
In the twenty years I pastored Hebron Baptist Church I don't believe I preached without a wearing a tie.  In the summer months, especially before we air conditioned the church, I did forgo the jacket.  However, that was 1981-2001.  Is a suit and tie still necessary to be worn in the pulpit today?  Does not wearing a suit and tie distract people from the message, and if it does what does that say about where people have their attention focused?

This blog is primarily read by leaders of smaller churches, often bivocational ministers, so I'm not addressing questions about clerical collars, robes, and other formal attire worn by some ministers although I am sure there are many bivocational ministers who do wear such formal clothing in the pulpit.  I'm just questioning if the wearing of a suit and tie every Sunday when we stand in the pulpit is necessary in the 21st century.  Personally, I feel that business casual may allow for a better connection with many of the people who would attend our churches, especially if they are unchurched.

How the minister dresses in the pulpit is a major issue in some churches.  I had a woman call one time asking if I could convince their pastor to start wearing a suit and tie on Sundays because she was offended by his dress.  I told her if the majority of the church was comfortable with how he dressed (they were) that perhaps she would be better off finding another place of worship where she would be more comfortable.  Some people in one church complained about the fact that their pastor wore the same pair of pants every Sunday.  I suggested they consider giving him a salary increase.

I hesitate to even mention the apparel of female ministers and worship leaders.  One female minister once told me of an interview she had with a pastor search committee.  This church had never considered calling a woman pastor before, and, at times, seemed to struggle with what to ask.  She said one gentleman asked how she would dress when she preached.  She said she held her hands out to her side and said, "Like this."  His only response was, "Oh, OK."    I believe the biblical injunction would be that both males and females should dress in such a way that is modest and does not call attention to one's appearance.

I am old enough and traditional enough to not be in the camp of those who say ministers should never wear suits and ties in order to better connect with unchurched people.  Some in that camp won't even wear suit and tie when conducting a funeral.  I'm not with that group.  Some of the churches I serve in my area are more formal, and to dress casually there when preaching would be a distraction, and I don't think my dress should be a stumbling-block to anyone.  I have a few churches that require the KJV Bible be used in the pulpit so I dust off my old, black KJV when I preach in those churches to avoid unnecessary distractions.  However, I do think that in many of our churches today we are at a time when more casual dress should be accepted.

When I began as pastor of our church in 1981 we began a Sunday evening service about a month after my arrival.  As we were getting ready for the service my wife was wondering what to wear.  I encouraged her to wear slacks and a blouse, but she was concerned that she would be expected to wear a dress.  I finally convinced her to wear slacks.  She was the only woman there that night wearing slacks.  All of the other women were wearing dresses.  She felt horrible and probably felt my tenure there would be very short until she overheard two of the women around a corner speaking after the service.  One said to the other, "I'm so glad the pastor's wife wore slacks tonight.  Now we can wear ours."  That was probably the only Sunday night in twenty years that any women wore dresses in that church!  If you are in a traditional church where the pastor has always wore a suit and tie maybe that is a conversation you should have with your church leaders.  If they object to your wearing business casual when you preach, then don't.  You may find they really don't care.  I know I feel more comfortable wearing more casual clothes when I'm preaching, and when we're more comfortable we probably do a better job.  That alone makes this a conversation worth having. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

In the Old Testament we read about naked prophets and in the New Testament no one wears the priestly garments.
The only place selling a suit within a 30 minute drive from our church is Goodwill. The pastors clothing sets the standard. Half of my church wouldn't come if the men had to wear suits. It is a simple choice to me. Jesus came to seek and save the lost, not a wardrobe.

Dennis Bickers said...

Many pastors would rise and call you blessed!

Bob Blair said...

What would it take for a congregation to just trust that their pastor has the wisdom to decide red tie, black tie, or no tie.

Dennis Bickers said...

Bob, For some churches it would take both an act of Congress and a God-sent revival, and they would still grumble.