Tuesday, January 21, 2014

How does your church respond in times of crisis?

As I write this we are getting hammered by a winter storm.  I shoveled about 4" of snow off the driveway before taking my wife to work this morning, and they are now calling for another two inches.  The temperatures are dropping fast as the wind picks up.  The weather reminds me of a winter back in the late 1970s when it was cold like this.  We lived in an old farm house with no insulation.  We closed off almost all the house and tried to live in just the living room and kitchen.  We were running a gas furnace and a wood stove in the living room and could not get the house to 60 degrees.  After several days of that the weather finally broke, but it was really brutal.  I know there are people living like that today as well.

About a week ago our local newspaper ran a story on how people are being helped in our small community during these real cold spells.  The Salvation Army of course is providing a warm place for people to gather and warm meals.  I wasn't surprised by that, but the article really caught my attention when it went on to mention a small church across from the Salvation Army that has set up cots in their building to provide a place for people to sleep at night to get out of the cold.  The article said the church had about 14 cots available for people, and that they were being used in the real cold nights we've been having this year.

I know the pastor of this church, and we've been friends for a number of years.  I know she has a heart for people who need help because, like most of us, she's been there herself.  This church is in the right location as it is in our downtown area where it provides for easy access.  I imagine some of the folks who spend their days at the Salvation Army simply cross the street when the SA closes their doors for the night.

The article reminded me again of the ministry smaller churches can provide.  When I hear so many members of smaller churches complain about not being able to do things like the big churches do, this story just goes to show that regardless of size a church can provide ministry to people in difficult times.  More than 30 years ago I heard a Christian leader tell a congregation to quit waiting for a call of God to act.  He said, "The need is the call."  When you see a need you can fulfill that is God's call to respond.  My friend's church saw a need and has responded.  I pray your church is doing the same.

No comments: