Friday, November 22, 2013

The growing interest in bivocational ministry

As I've written elsewhere, when I began as a bivocational pastor in 1981 there was not a lot of interest in bivocational ministry.  The Bible school I attended didn't encourage it, denominational leaders often looked upon it as second-class ministry, and even other pastors questioned the validity of a person's call to bivocational ministry.  We were often seen as something less than real ministers by many.  I'm glad to see that continuing to change.

This week I've been asked for an interview by an individual who is doing his doctoral thesis on bivocational ministry.  Just yesterday another individual who recently completed his doctoral work asked if he could send me the manuscript for a book he has written on developing bivocational ministers.  The approach he has taken sounds helpful.  Of course, I agreed to both the interview and to review the manuscript.  Also, this week I noticed a couple of new books on bivocational ministry have been released that I did not know about, and I plan to read them over the winter.  This same week a date in 2014 was confirmed for me to speak at a bivocational gathering on the East coast.  I was already scheduled to speak at another bivocational event next spring.

This is exciting!  For most of my pastoral ministry I could count on one hand the number of books that had been written specifically for bivocational ministry, and I would have fingers left over.  Today, books are being written and other resources are being developed specifically for bivocational ministers and the churches they serve.  Doctoral students are exploring this ministry for their projects, and their seminaries are approving those projects.  Denominations are scheduling events specifically designed for those who serve in their smaller churches because they recognize the value we bring to those churches and to the denominations.

More people are sensing the call to bivocational ministry as well.  Yesterday, an individual called to say he was feeling led to pursue this ministry.  I will return his call later today so we can discuss it further.  Two weeks ago a graduate of our region's Church Leadership Institute called to say he felt called to bivocational ministry and was open to filling open pulpits and perhaps soon to serve in a local church.  Before completing that program he never felt that call on his life.  For many years I have said that I believed God was calling individuals to bivocational ministry, and our role as denominational leaders was to help people hear that call and help prepare them to be able to respond to it.  This is happening, and I believe will continue to happen in greater numbers.

God is not done with small churches.  The large churches may continue to get most of the attention from many people, but God is still working in smaller churches, and He is calling people to provide leadership to those churches.  Bivocational ministry is rewarding, and the need for additional bivocational ministers is growing.  More and more of our smaller churches are looking to call bivocational ministers, and God is calling people to meet that need.  It's been quite a turn around since 1981, and I'm glad to have seen it happen.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Brother,
You are on the right page. As a bi-vo since 1975, I am glad to finally a little recognition for the work we do...although I know that the One who really counts has always recognized what we do. Denominational "leaders" still look at us as the "second string" serving small churches because we can't get larger ones. The greatest evangelist in the history of the church was a tentmaker. Please continue your writing and encouragement...they are both needed.

Unknown said...

Hey Brother,
You are on the right page. As a bi-vo since 1975, I am glad to finally a little recognition for the work we do...although I know that the One who really counts has always recognized what we do. Denominational "leaders" still look at us as the "second string" serving small churches because we can't get larger ones. The greatest evangelist in the history of the church was a tentmaker. Please continue your writing and encouragement...they are both needed.

Rev. Luckett said...

Great comment John! I've been a Bivocation Pastor for 1 year as this is my first Pastorate.

Unknown said...

I've been full-time in the ministry since 2001, but I feel a strong need and desire to transition to bi-vocational ministry. I am not alone. There are many who feel as I do, but we are struggling to find an a secular vocation that can pay the bills while we serve bi-vocationally. I am 47 years old and would like to transition to bi-vocational ministry. My wife works from home and makes a supplemental salary. We have children ages 17,9,and 6. I feel if I could be bi-vocational I could ease the financial burden on the church and keep myself connected to the society around me. Any suggestions on how to pursue bi-vocational ministry at this stage of life?

Dennis Bickers said...

Michael, This is a question I'm often asked. The way I answer it is to ask the individual what they did before ministry, what was their major in college, what do they enjoy doing, what do they see as their areas of giftedness? Once we answer those kinds of questions, we can begin to look for things that we could do in addition to our ministry. For instance, a pastor once told me he entered college planning to be a teacher. Although he earned a degree that would allow him to teach, he then felt called to the ministry and went on to seminary. I asked if he could find a teaching position somewhere, even as a substitute teacher or a tutor as a career while he served as a bivocational pastor. Answer those same questions and see what answers you get.