- Robert Schuller defined success as "discovering and developing your potential as well as seeing the new opportunities born all around you every new day."
- John Maxwell said that success is "knowing God and his desires for me, growing to my maximum potential; and sowing seeds that benefit others."
- Charles Stanley wrote, "Success is the continuing achievement of becoming the person God wants you to be and accomplishing the goals God has helped you set."
We should also notice that these statements all imply that success is a journey. Notice the verbs in these statements. Discovering...developing...knowing...growing...sowing...accomplishing. For the minister we never arrive at success. Again, see what a couple of well known Christian leaders have to say about the matter.
- Charles Stanley - "Success is an ongoing pursuit...No person ever truly achieves success."
- John Maxwell - "Success is a journey rather than a destination."
There are several qualities one must continue to develop if one wishes to know success in ministry. The book referenced above examines several of those qualities in more detail than we can cover in a blog post. If you are serious about wanting to enjoy a successful ministry based upon the right definition of success I encourage you to read the book and apply what you learn to your own life.