Saturday, April 28, 2012

Working for yourself

I want to share a great opportunity for my readers who read their books on NOOK.  I just found out that today NOOK is offering The Barefoot Executive by Carrie Wilkerson for $1.99.  This book was published by Thomas Nelson in 2011 and has endorsements from people like Dave Ramsey, Tim Sanders, Tom Ziglar and others.

Why would I suggest reading a book I've never read?  Well, for one thing you aren't likely to find it any cheaper!  For another, I believe that every bivocational pastor is an entrepreneur.  We do ministry outside the box and do things that most other ministers would not consider doing.  A third reason is that I believe everyone is self-employed.  Most of us work for a company or some other organization, but I think we all have come to realize in recent years that there really is no such thing as job security anymore.  As I've heard Zig Ziglar say, what each of us needs to do is to ensure employment security so that if we lose a job we currently have we'll be able to find another one.  If each of us approach our ministries and our second jobs as if we are working for ourselves we are likely to be much more effective.  The final reason is that you'll probably not find this book any cheaper (did I already mention that?).

Seriously, this is a book I've seen on the bookshelves and was tempted to purchase and read but really didn't want to pay full price for it.  Maybe I'm becoming more frugal, but I find it harder today to pay full price for a book unless I am really excited about reading it.  When I saw on Twitter that NOOK was running a special on it for today only I jumped at the chance to purchase it.  I noticed that it had only average reviews, but I have found that there is seldom a book I read that I don't get at least a few good nuggets of information out of it.  It's worth $1.99 to me to take the chance, and I might find that I agree with the ones who are giving it 4-5 stars.

If you have a NOOK you might want to take advantage of this opportunity and see if her advice will help you in your ministry and career.

No comments: