Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What do you do to relax?

From surveys I've conducted of bivocational ministers and discussions I've had with many others it is obvious that many really do little to relax.  Before I coach someone I ask them to fill out a Life Satisfaction survey, and most of the ones who do often score very low in the areas of hobbies.  Some indicate they just don't believe they have the time to invest in some relaxing hobby.  I would challenge such people to make the time.

In case you haven't determined this about me yet, I am a Type A personality.  In fact, some would say that I'm AAA.  I do not find down time very enjoyable.  I get bored rather easily if I haven't something to do.  Because of my personality I can identify with those who give excuses why they do not have a hobby or engage in some activity that is relaxing.  I can fill up my calendar with the best of them.  Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way that is a very foolish thing to do unless that calendar includes time spent with the family and time spent in doing things apart from work that is enjoyable and relaxing.

Before I sold my motorcycle a couple of years ago I would take a two hour ride somewhere to unwind.  I often didn't know what direction I would go in when I pulled out of the garage and didn't really care.  I just wanted to feel the wind, and only those who ride will appreciate what I mean by that.  Now, I enjoy playing a round of golf or spending a little time at a lake fishing.  I enjoy going to auctions trying to find some treasure at a bargain price.  It doesn't really matter what you do as long as it is something you find enjoyable and relaxing.

When you are relaxed you think more clearly.  You find work more enjoyable.  You become re-energized which improves not only your ability to be more productive, but it also improves the time you spend with your family.  You have greater satisfaction in what you do and are less likely to be looking to change churches or jobs.  Your hobby often allows you to meet new people who help you grow in many ways.

If you do not currently have a hobby or some activity I want to urge you to find something that will help you relax before this year is out.  At first it may be challenging to schedule something new into an already busy life, but once you do I believe you will wish you had done so years ago.

No comments: