Monday, February 6, 2012

My weekend

Last Friday I posted on this blog about the importance about making time to do things with your family.  At this point you would be right in asking if I followed my advice, so I thought I would tell you a little about our weekend.

Saturday morning I had a couple of things I wanted to do, but after about two hours I realized that I wasn't going to spend any more time doing them.  As I returned home I called my wife to tell her I was on my way home and to ask if she would like to go shopping.  As soon as I got home I cleaned up, and we headed for Louisville.  We discussed where we wanted to eat lunch and decided on one of our favorite restaurants.  After that we headed to a mall to spend a couple of gift cards we had received for Christmas.  After wiping them out, as well as a few more dollars from our bank account, we headed home.  On the way we stopped at Starbucks for a couple of coffees for the road.

Sunday morning we visited one of the churches I serve in my Area.  Since we attended the early service, after church we enjoyed breakfast and returned home.  My wife spend part of Sunday afternoon baking some cookies for a friend of ours and working on a quilt she is doing.  I spent some time reading and enjoying a free afternoon.  We called our two children to check on them and our grandchildren, ate supper, and watched the Super Bowl.

Nothing I mentioned is too exciting, is it?  But, the key is we were doing things together and spending time with one another.  You'll also notice that we didn't spend a great deal of money in anything we did.  You don't have to spend money to be together and create good memories.

Most pastors want to impact the lives of other people, but what some don't realize is that while they are doing that they may be ignoring their own family members.  Don't do that!  Don't try to save the world while losing your own family.  If you have to schedule time with family put them on your calendar and don't let anything interfere with that appointment.  Whatever you have to do, do it so your family will know how much you cherish them and value the time you spend with them.

No comments: