Friday, February 18, 2011

Apologetics

Most of us know what we believe.  It may not always be right, but at least we believe what we believe.  I like a Mark Lowery comment he made one time about a pastor who wasn't always right, but he was never confused!  I have often found myself in that same condition!!

But, why do we believe the things we believe?  Is it because we've done an extensive study on the subject?  Do we believe some things because we've been told that is what we should believe by a parent, a seminary professor, or some other person in authority?  How much of what we believe simply comes from our denominational heritage?  How do you answer when an unchurched person asks why you believe some particular doctrine?  Unchurched people are not shy about asking that question, and they are usually not satisfied with a shallow, vague answer.

In our postmodern world today many people are willing to accept all "truths" as equally valid and equally wrong.  I wish that had been the mindset when I was in high school.  Every math test I turned in included answers that were true for me, but for some reason the teacher did not consider my answers as valid as her answers.  Had I waited to be born fifty years later and had a postmodern math teacher I might have made straight As in math.

Actually, it is primarily when we are talking about God that this postmodern mindset comes into play.  We live in a time when people want to believe that all religions lead to God and all religious systems and philosophies are equally valid.  The problem with that mindset is that all religions contain teachings that, if true, make all other religions false.  Critics often accuse Christians of being exclusivistic in their teachings, but the fact is that all religious worldviews are exclusivistic.  This is why I believe apologetics may be more important today than ever before.

If I was a young man today starting my theological study I think I would focus on apologetics.  The Bible teaches that we are to always be ready to give a reason for the hope that is in us, and apologetics can help us do that.  Since I am not a young man starting my theological study, I have decided to focus my devotional reading this year on books written by some of my favorite apologetic writers such as Ravi Zacharias. 

I would encourage you to commit to reading at least one book this year written in the area of apologetics.  Can Man Live Without God is a very good place to start.  Has Christianity Failed You? would be another good book, especially if you are someone who often feels that God has disappointed you despite your faith in Him.  It is important to not only be able to tell others what you believe but why you believe it, and I have found that apologetics can help me do that.

No comments: