Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A fun weekend

Our daughter and grandkids came up for a long holiday weekend.  There was a large multi-estate auction on Thursday and Friday near my home so she came up so we could attend.  She enjoys going to auctions as much as I do.  We had a great time and got some incredible deals on some nice items.  Some we'll keep and some I'll put on e-bay to resell.  As I was reading Friday's paper I found another estate auction being held on New Year's day.  She was planning on going home that morning, but there were some items being sold she was interested in and decided to stay and attend that one as well.  I was a little tired and not really wanting to go, but I agreed to go with her and just see if there was anything I might be interested in buying.  Well...we loaded up the car again before they closed the auction down!

Granny and the grandkids had a great time making cookies.  We had fun at the auctions, and had an even better time each evening just enjoying one another.  The last evening I showed some old (1960s) slides of when I was in the Navy.  Our grandkids did not know I was in the Navy and had never seen some of the places I had been to.  These were slides I had not viewed in years, and yet I remembered the story of each of them clearly.  The grandkids had a lot of questions about what some of the slides meant, and we had a good time sharing some family history with them.  They also saw some pictures of their mother when she was one year old and other slides of her as she grew up.

This was a very good weekend filled with much laughter, a lot of good eating, and the making of some great memories.  Family history was passed down to a younger generation who will hopefully have a greater appreciation for their heritage.

Are there stories you need to pass down to new generations in your family?  What special family memories will you make in January?  I have a pretty full calendar this week, but I'm thankful for the time spent with our family this past weekend, and I'm thankful we took the opportunity to create new family memories.

No comments: