Sunday, November 14, 2010

Freedom Trio

In the years I've written this blog I've tried to not promote specific speakers or musicians.  Because people's preferences are so different I can't assume that anyone would enjoy what I do.  However, I am going to promote a group in this posting, and I would encourage you to consider inviting them to your church, especially if your congregation enjoys good Southern Gospel music.  Just so you know, I am NOT their promoter and I'm not being paid a dime for this plug.

Freedom is a new trio that began in April of this year.  Although this group is new, the members of the group have spent time with major Southern Gospel groups in the past.  Josh Garner was the lead singer for the Florida Boys, a true legendary Southern Gospel group, for eight years until they retired in 2007.  John Rulapaugh sang with the Dove Brothers and Palmetto State Quartet before partnering with Josh to form Freedom.  Joel Trimble was a member of Soul'd Out Quartet before joining Freedom.

This morning I had the opportunity to hear this group for the second time, and I have to say that I am very impressed.  You will not find a better sounding Southern Gospel group anywhere, but that is not what impresses me the most.  For many years my wife and I were permanent seat holders at the Southern Gospel Quartet Convention held in Louisville, KY.  During the week of the convention we would sit in our seats for six hours each night listening to dozens of the best Southern Gospel groups in the nation.  Most were very good and professional, but only a few truly led people in worship.  Freedom not only offers excellent music; they will lead your congregation in the worship of God, and that is what impresses me most about this group.

I know that many of the readers of this blog are pastors of smaller, bivocational churches.  Many of you may feel that you cannot afford to bring in a professional group.  I would encourage you to contact Josh Garner at 865-366-5155 and see what you can work out.  Both of the times I heard them were at smaller churches so don't automatically assume you can't bring this group into your church.  You can also find out more about them at their web site http://www.freedomtrio.com/.

If you or your church don't enjoy Southern Gospel music you probably won't enjoy Freedom.  That's fine because there are many ways to worship God musically.  But if you do enjoy good Southern Gospel music then you need to check out this new group.  The pastor of the church where they sang this morning called me this evening to thank me for recommending them and to tell me how much he and his church enjoyed them.  I really believe you'll like the quality of their music, and, even more, you'll enjoy the worship experience they will bring to your congregation.

No comments: