Thursday, September 2, 2010

Updates

I want to apologize for my lack of postings recently, but the past few weeks have been very busy and I've been fighting the worst case of allergies I've ever had.  I've had to sleep sitting in a chair most nights this past week to keep from coughing, and that doesn't lead to much sleep.  Still...the work goes on.

A report just came to me noting that 78 persons have downloaded my DMin thesis on "Coaching Bivocational Ministers for Greater Ministerial Effectiveness."  It shocked me that many people were interested in reading a doctoral thesis, but it gives me hope that these are people who work with bivocational ministers and are looking for the tools to better serve them.  It is my prayer that the thesis will give them one more tool.

My latest book, The Healthy Pastor: Easing the Stresses of Ministry, was released last week and seems to be finding an audience.  I have shipped out the pre-orders that came to me.  You can purchase this book or any of my books through my website or by sending a check to Dennis Bickers, PO Box 1113, Madison, IN  47250.  If you prefer, you can also order it through Amazon.com.

The class I'm teaching on "Growing a Healthy Church" for Campbellsville University is in its second week and going well.  I am really impressed with the students in my class.  They come from various backgrounds and have different callings on their lives, but each of them are dedicated to honoring God with their lives.  If you are interested at all in on-line studies you really need to check out the excellent programs at Campbellsville University.

I also want to remind you of the upcoming Pastors and Church Leaders Conference that Campbellsville University is hosting September 23-24.  The theme of the conference is "Characteristics of Effective Church Leaders" and features Rev. Fred Luter, Jr. and Dr. Hershael York as the featured preachers.  There will also be several breakout sessions you can attend including "Making Family a Priority," "Three Pillars of Credibility," and "Leadership Across the Generation" among others.  Registration for all this is only $30.00!  You can still register by calling 270-789-5520 or by sending an e-mail to sddouglas@campbellsville.edu.  I made my motel reservations last Monday for this event and would love to see you there.

1 comment:

Dr. Terry Dorsett said...

I share your excitement that there is a growing interest in bivocational ministry in America.

One reason people are probably downloading your thesis is because there is so little new stuff out there for bivocational pastors.

That's one of the reasons I wrote my book about how to develop leadership teams in the bivocational church.

http://www.crossbooks.com/BookStore/BookStoreBookDetails.aspx?bookid=58188