Friday, June 25, 2010

Growing a healthy church

Before I begin my topic, this is my 300th post on this blog!  I never thought I would reach this plateau, and I want to thank my faithful readers for making this possible.  We have readers from around the world who read these postings, and it humbles me to think that some of what I write is helpful to those of you who are faithfully living out the calling God has on your life.  As always, I'm open to suggestions about topics you would like to have addressed in this blog.  Also, if you are not currently receiving my monthly e-newsletter, just send me your e-mail address, and I'll be glad to add you to the mailing.

Earlier today I spoke with a person who is helping me develop the course I'm teaching for Campbellsville University this fall, CHS 451 "Growing a Healthy Church."  This is an eight week online course that I am quite excited about.  We were discussing the syllabus I have prepared, and I'm now ready to finalize that.  Since our conversation I have completed the first lecture, and I'm now working on the quiz to go along with that lecture.  I think this will be a great course for leaders of all size churches.  Two of my books are among the textbooks required for the class, so our bivocational students will have material that will be especially helpful to them.  At last count, 13 people have already enrolled in the class, and I hope for a few more before the class begins in August.

If you've been thinking about working on your college degree, this might be a great time to begin.  Campbellsville University is an excellent school with a great School of Theology.  I would love to see you begin your college work by taking my course.  If you have any interest in attending college or if you would just like to take this one class, contact the school and begin the registration process.  My guess is that if you take this class you'll want to continue your studies.  After all, that's how I began my educational journey.

When I enrolled for my first class I had been out of school for 12 years.  I really didn't know if I could handle the assignments.  I was working a full-time job in a factory, pastoring a church, and now I was going to attend a school 50 miles from my home.  It seemed overwhelming, but it was one of the best decisions I ever made.  I fell in love with learning, and every class I've taken since then has helped me grow as an individual and as a minister.  Now, I have an opportunity to teach others.  I don't know if that would happen for you or not, but if it did I know how blessed you would be.  Even if you didn't fall in love with learning as I did, I know this one class would help you better lead your church.  So...pray about it, contact the school and talk to the people there, and see if this might be something you would be interested in doing.

No comments: