Saturday, May 1, 2010

Investing in yourself

The past few months have seen wide fluctuations in the stock market.  Both large fortunes and small savings have been lost.  I have some pastors who planned to retire in 2009 and decided to wait because their retirement accounts had lost so much money.  Although things are slowly improving, we still have a long ways to go.  My last 401-K statement showed I was almost even with what I had two years ago, but it's doubtful that I'll ever get back what I lost during that time.  A lot of companies are now running ads promoting various investments they insist are the way to protect yourself from future financial meltdowns, but how can ordinary people know which ones are really the safest.  Well, there is one investment you can make that will never go down in value and that is investing in yourself.

In a couple of weeks I will graduate with my DMin degree.  I've spent much of my life going to school as a part-time student.  It's never been easy, but I considered every class an investment in myself.  Stock prices can go up and down.  Interest rates can fluctuate.  But, what you learn can never decrease in value.  It's not just the information you receive; it's how that information changes you as a person.  I admit that some of what I've learned is already outdated, but I have been able to build upon that knowledge with new information, and the process has helped transform me.  It has made me a better minister, a better husband, and a better father.

It has never been easier to acquire new information.  Workshops are held all over the country and many are now available through the Internet.  College and seminary classes can now be taken on-line and today it is possible to even get an accredited degree entirely on-line.  Some of these programs have even been created specifically for bivocational ministers such as the certification program offered by Campbellsville University.  Does it take time to take one of these classes?  Of course, anything of value requires an investment of time, energy, and money, but I encourage you to think of it as an investment in yourself.  You will grow as a result of taking that class, attending that workshop, or earning that degree, and that growth will impact your ministry, your relationships, and every other aspect of your life.

In addition to the certification program at Campbellsville University they offer on-line classes at the bachelor's level and they now have a fully-accredited Master of Theology degree that one can earn entirely on-line.  I am pleased to announce that I will be teaching an on-line class this fall on "Growing a Healthy Church" for Campbellsville University's School of Theology, and I would love to have you as a student.  There is still time to enroll as a student and register for that class.  You can get more information about Campbellsville at their website.  I have been a member of the Church Relations Council for the school for several years, and I can tell you I am extremely impressed with the school and everyone associated with it.  Now is the time to invest in yourself, and this class is a great way to begin.

There is time to enroll as a student and register for the class.

No comments: