Friday, April 9, 2010

Holiness: a personal choice

As part of my daily devotions I am re-reading The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges.  I've read the book several times and each time I am convicted about how far I am from being the person I should be.  As I began reading the book this time I paused to read the endorsements in the front of the book.  I found one very interesting:

"Jerry Bridges gives timeless insight into a timeless problem: in our own pursuit of holiness, it's easy to end up in the ditch of legalism on one side of the road or lethargy on the other.  The Pursuit of Holiness has helped so many believers navigate the tricky by vitally important road to personal holiness.  This book should be on every Christian leader's shelf."

The words are true.  What I found interesting about them is that they were written by Ted Haggard.  Now, I'm not interested in playing pile on Ted Haggard.  Many others have assumed that role for themselves.  What is interesting to me is that I assume Haggard was sincere when he wrote them, but we know that he failed to walk his talk.  What disturbs me about that is that each of us are susceptible to the same failure.  None of us achieves the level of holiness God wants for us.  We all fight our personal temptations, and each of us are aware of just how often we fail to measure up.  Because Haggard, like so many before him, was such a public figure his failure also became public.  Our failures may not achieve the public scrutiny that his did, but we are certainly aware of our failure to live holy lives that are pleasing to God.  We have all known times of shame and sorrow because of our failures to overcome the evil desires that live within each of us.

Satan may not be all-knowing, but he certainly knows which buttons to push for each one of us.  He knows the areas in which each of us are the weakest, and he will make sure we are consistently tempted in those areas.  But, we cannot blame the devil for our failures.  We would not struggle with a temptation if there wasn't something within us that desired whatever the temptation offered.  Each time we sin it is because we have chosen to yield to that desire.  Each time we overcome a temptation it is because we have chosen to overcome it.  You and I are never defeated by sin.  We sin because we have chosen to be disobedient to God.  We must take personal responsibility for our holiness or the lack of it.

Perhaps that's why I keep re-reading this book.  I need to be reminded of my personal responsibility to live a holy life that is pleasing to God.  I need to be reminded that I have to be extra vigilent in the areas of my life where I am the weakest and most susceptible to temptation. I need to be reminded of the importance of prayer in defeating temptation, and  I need to be reminded to keep short accounts with God and to not delay in asking for His forgiveness when I do fail.

Your holiness is important to God and it should be to you.  2 Timothy 2: 21 tells us, "Therefore if anyone cleanses himself...he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work."  You and I have been called to a good work, but that work can be damaged if we become unclean vessels because of choices we have made.

None of us will ever be perfect this side of heaven.  We will fail at times despite our best intentions.    But, our goal should always be to measure up to the standard of holiness God has set, and that standard is perfect holiness.  Every day we will be confronted with choices, and our desire should always be to choose holiness in our actions, our thoughts, our motives, and our words.  When we fail to do so, it is imperative we confess our failure to God and seek His forgiveness and His assistance the next time we are confronted with the same temptation.

You may want to read this book, often.  It's full of good reminders.

1 comment:

Friar Tuck said...

Thanks for this humble yet strong word of encouragement.