Friday, February 19, 2010

Not I, but Christ

When Jerry Falwell passed away his son, Jonathan, was named pastor at Thomas Road Baptist Church.  The week following Jerry's funeral Jonathan had to preach.  He was still deep in personal grief, but he knew the church was expecting to hear words of hope and encouragement when they came to church that Sunday.  Jonathan had many doubts that he could take his father's place as the pastor of that church and even more doubts that he would be able to preach the message that Sunday that people needed to hear.  On Saturday he still did not know what he would say the next morning.  He received an e-mail that included the words "Not I, but Christ."  Those words struck a chord in his heart, and he realized it wasn't about him being strong and capable; it was all about the power of Christ working in and through him.  That became his message that morning and became a theme for the ministry of that church and his own pastorate.  His book is an honest look at how that is still being played out and one that I would encourage you to read.

As bivocational ministers we often feel overwhelmed by the many demands on our lives and the ministries God has called us to lead.  It would be helpful for us to pause often and remind ourselves that our ministries do not depend on our power, our strength, and our wisdom.  Our ministries depend on Christ working through us, and that requires that we yield ourselves to His guidance and strength. 

It is easy when things go well in our ministries to enjoy the praise that comes our way, but we need to remember that it was not us but Christ that brought that victory to the church.  I remember a time several years ago I was asked to speak at our daughter's high school graduation.  The gymnasium was packed.  I had never spoken to so many people at one time, and I was quite nervous as I began.  Although I began weak, the Spirit of God began to fill me and the message ended strong.  It was very well received by those in attendance, and many stopped me afterwards and thanked me for my message.  I was pretty full of myself the rest of the day.  The next morning I was driving to class and still patting myself on the back for the great job I did when I missed my turn-off to the school.  I had to drive several miles to the next exit ramp.  Immediately, when I realized what I had done, I laughed and thought, "Lord, you sure know how to humble a person."  I began to give Him the praise that I had been receiving from others and confessed to Him that I could never have gotten through that message without His power working through me.

In ministry there will be times of great blessings, but there will also be times of challenge and difficulty.  Don't believe all the press that comes your way when things go well, and don't heap burning coals on your head when things don't go so well.  During times of blessing, be sure to give God the glory for the work He is doing, and during times of difficulty seek His direction for how to turn things around.  It really isn't all about us; it is all about Him.

No comments: