Friday, July 24, 2009

Technology

This past week I have spent much of my time setting up a new computer. My five year old computer had slowed down to the point that I thought I was back on dial-up! There just wasn't enough memory to allow it to work efficiently. I considered adding more memory, but the computer would still be five years old with components that had to be wearing out. On Monday I bit the bullet and bought a new one.

Computers had changed a lot in the five years since I bought my last one! I couldn't believe the memory that came with the new computers, and the prices were even better. Of course, with the new computer came the challenge of installing programs and transferring files. That has taken a good part of this week, and I still have a few pictures I haven't transferred yet.

When I began my ministry in 1981 my technology was an upright Underwood typewriter. I bought a lot of White-out in those days. When copies needed to be made I went to a local office supply shop and paid 10 cents a copy. Everything took a lot of time which is something bivocational ministers do not have in abundance. The technology available today has made it easier to handle the administrative tasks of ministry.

New computers are fast and cheap and give the minister the ability to search the Internet for just about any information he or she might need. No longer do you have to head off to the library. If you do need a book you can find the reference number for it on your computer at home and go directly to it at the library saving you a lot of time. I'm finding that to be very helpful as I write my DMin thesis. Excellent study programs are available for the computer making sermon preparation much easier and providing the minister with more study aids than he or she could have afforded to purchase in book form. Printers are also inexpensive and save the minister much time by not having to go to an office supply store to make copies. Cell phones make it possible for ministers to keep in contact with people regardless of where they are. Earlier this year I bought my first Blackberry, and I love it.

Of course, technology can be misused. Studies have found that some people spend so much time surfing the Internet that their productivity goes way down. Very inexpensive Bible study software often has such outdated materials on them that they are not very helpful to the contemporary minister in his or her sermon preparation. If you give everyone your cell phone number you may find all you get done is answer your phone.

My solution is to take control of your technology. Purchase a good quality computer with the software you need to be productive. Use the Internet, but don't let it own you. I personally do not give my cell phone number out to people. My wife, children, and our office has that number, and they know to not give it to anyone else. If someone needs to contact me they can do so through one of these people, and I will return their call. By controlling your technology you are taking control of your life.

Too many bivocational ministers are not taking advantage of the technology available. As a result they spend time doing mundane administrative tasks that could have been accomplished much quicker with the right technological tools. The bivocational minister's time is too precious for that to happen. Determine how technology can help you be more effective and then decide how you will obtain that technology.

One final technology recommendation. Every church should at least have an answering machine to receive the calls when no one is available to take them, and in smaller churches with bivocational ministers that will be most of the time. Your machine should give the caller the times of your morning service. Churches are losing prospective visitors because they cannot find out what times the services begin. Answering machines are dirt cheap, and this message provides an extremely inexpensive was to reach out to your community. Also, make sure you do return the calls that come in.

No comments: