Tuesday, August 5, 2008

DMin class

I'm here at Liberty Theological Seminary for another DMin class. This class focuses on developing lay people for ministry. Today is our second class day, but if the first day is any indication this should be an excellent class. My wife was able to come to Lynchburg with me so we can enjoy our evenings.

There are 16 students in this class representing various size churches. An exercise yesterday showed that most of us have too few people doing too many jobs, and I think it is a common problem in many of our churches. Certainly, many of our smaller churches have a handful of people doing a number of tasks, and this is not healthy for them or for the church.

One of our challenges as church leaders is to find ways to train more lay people to do ministry. This is not only biblical (Eph. 4), but it will also lead to a healthier church and a growing one.

It's almost time for class to start, so I better go.

No comments: