Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Walking with Jesus

An emphasis in our region this year is called "Walking with Jesus." We are encouraging our churches and individuals within those churches to commit to practices within the areas of leadership, missional, and spirituality that will help draw them closer to God in 2008. One pastor responded that one of the practices he was committed to this year was taking his days off and taking his vacations. He admitted that he was nearing burn-out and needed to take better care of himself.

One of my practices this year is reading through the New Testament. Tomorrow I will read the book of Philemon which won't take long. I've read through it so quickly this year that I may read through it again in a different translation. Another practice I'm doing is praying the Lord's Prayer when I lay down at night and the first thing I do before getting out of bed in the morning. It is a way to make my last and first thoughts of the day center on God. These are simple but effective ways to help me stay focused on God. Some years I've read through the entire Bible; one year I read through several books that studied the book of Romans; one year I read several books that focused on the various spiritual disciplines that we need to practice. The important thing is to choose practices that are meaningful to you and do not get boring over time.

What are you doing this year to help you grow in your relationship with God? I think it would help many of us to hear from one another. Your practice might inspire someone else to begin walking with Jesus in a brand new way in 2008.

No comments: