Saturday, March 15, 2008

Yoked churches

This is my 100th blog! I wasn't sure I would ever do that many, and I do hope you have found at least some of them helpful. Today's blog is seeking input from my readers, so I do hope you will respond with your thoughts.

Due to the difficulty in finding bivocational ministers for many of our smaller churches, some of us have been discussing encouraging some of our smallest churches to share pastors like many smaller Methodist churches do. What do you think of that idea? Would you be willing to pastor two smaller, bivocational churches? How many of the churches in your areas would be interested in such an arrangement?

I would like to hear from some Methodists who may be serving in such ministries to find out how that is working for you.

Let's generate some conversation around this topic because I think it is one we need to discuss.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Dennis,

It seems to me that having one bivocational pastor for a few small churches would be a good use of resources. The churches would benefit from their new-found connection and ability to cooperate in ministry, as well as their ability to pool resources for bringing on staff. The ministers would benefit from their expanded ability to impact folks for Christ and the ability to reuse messages and resources for multiple congregations - same prep time, but with multiplied results!

I am an ordained Baptist, but I currently serve as a youth minister in a UMC church. I would say I see the benefits of the one pastor-multiple churches scenario. I am sure there are pitfalls, such as management of time and prioritizing, but I would have to say that the benefits are sure to outweigh the problems - especially considering the shortage of pastors, especially those who are willing to serve long-term bivocationally.

About ten years ago, I spoke with a couple of SBC churchs in the Dakotas which were considering this type of setup. One church was seeking a bivo pastor, the other a bivo youth minister. They had decided to join together and bring on one person to fill the roles. God did not lead me there, and I do not know how that worked out for them. BUT, it is and has at least been tried in less connectional systems than the UMC.

It would take a change of thinking, but I believe it could be done successfully in the ABC! Let's pray together for pastors who would be committed to long-term biovocational ministries in a "circuit" of churches....