Friday, November 9, 2007

Trapped

I spoke to two pastors yesterday who are feeling trapped in their current places of ministry. Declining attendance, reduced giving, strife, and apathy are taking their tolls. Both would like to find new places to serve, but nothing has opened up yet. One has been looking for several years, but for a variety of reasons no church has felt called to ask him to come as their minister. The frustration in their voices is easy to hear. Both love the Lord and love His people and just want to be able to serve Him with joy and gladness, but the joy is long gone, and now they feel trapped.

Chances are we've all been there at one time or another. It may have been in a ministry position or in our other careers as bivocational ministers. There is nothing but drudgery as we go from day to day fulfilling our responsibilities. The work gets done, but we feel no sense of accomplishment, no joy, and we feel that no one appreciates the fact that it was done.

I tried to encourage both pastors yesterday, but I doubt that my words penetrated their feelings of frustration. I assured them that God would open doors in His time, but I also remembered the times when those words did little to encourage me when I was feeling trapped. They are true, and we in the ministry know they are true, but when we are feeling trapped they do not seem to bring much comfort.

A layperson recently told me that she is seeing a great attack on spiritual leaders that she believes is an indication that God is about to do something great in His church. She believes the enemy knows this and is attacking ministers and their families to try to stop the blessing God is about to pour out upon the church. Certainly, I have seen what appears to be an increased attack on Christian leaders during the past year, and these attacks have included me, and I pray that her belief that God is about to do something great is correct.

In the meantime, we need to pray for one another. Many of our colleagues are hurting. They feel trapped in their responsibilities and see no way out. Their families are hurting as they see the pain this is causing their loved ones. They also feel frightened and uncertain of what the future holds.

We also need to keep our eyes upon Christ. If we only focus on the negative circumstances we may be in we stand a much greater chance of being defeated. It is when we focus on Christ that we able to endure the attacks and frustrations that we will experience.

I encourage you this morning to pray for one another and keep your eyes on Jesus Christ. Encourage one another. Be the blessing you would want someone to be for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dennis,
Hello again, I wanted to let you know just how much we appreciate your openess and willingness to serve. Thank you.
My wife Sandy and I have over the past few week have had the opportunity to journey on the "Walk to Emmaus". What a tremendous time period to focus on Christ. It was a blessing x10 to experience. Christ I belived moved about 18 inches from my head to my heart and ready to take the next step and progress in His service. God Bless Pat Mc