Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Self-care

This morning I slipped away to play a round of golf. It only makes the second time I've played this year, but the weather was perfect, the calendar was clear, and I needed some exercise. It was a very enjoyable day, and I shot a decent round for me, especially given that it was only my second time out this year.

As bivocational ministers it can be very challenging to find time for self-care. We have so many demands from our employers, our churches, and our family that it is hard to make time for ourselves, but it is essential that we do so. We need time to unwind and do something that is fun and relaxing. It doesn't have to be golf. For one person it might be taking the time to sit under a shade tree and read a good book. For another it might be a trip to the fishing hole for a couple of hours. It doesn't matter what you do; it is just important that you do something that you will enjoy doing. You may be reading this with one eye and looking at your Day Timer with the other eye and wonder how in the world you can slip away and just do something for yourself. Why not consider it an investment in your well-being and future ministry?

In a couple of my books I share how I experienced a year of clinical depression mostly because I did not take care of myself. My body finally got so exhausted that it had to shut down to take care of itself. I was able to function in some ways. I went to my factory job every day; I did my pastoral work, but I had no energy left for relationships or anything else other than what I had to do. This lasted for a year before I fully recovered. One of the lessons I learned was that if I don't take care of myself the time might come when I can't take care of anyone else either. I don't ever want to get back in that situation again, so I don't feel guilty when I take some time off to play golf or take a motorcycle ride or sit down for a couple of hours with a good book.

Make sure you schedule time for yourself in your busy schedule. It's not selfish to make time for yourself. It's how you ensure that you are there for your family and church for the long haul.

No comments: