Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Many of us will spend this day at cook-outs and other activities with our families thankful that we have a day off from work, but how many of us will spend even a moment thinking about the freedoms we enjoy and who paid a price so we could continue to enjoy those freedoms? We may have our problems in the US today, but we have so much to be thankful for, and we continue to enjoy freedoms that many people throughout the world do not have. We stand to lose those freedoms if we forget that there are people in the world who are determined to take them from us.

I listen to the rhetoric from many politicians condemning the war on terror, and they are so far removed from reality that it is frightening they have been elected to represent the best interests of this nation. There are people determined to not only destroy the American way of life; they are committed to killing us. We can either fight them in their countries or in ours. I prefer to take the battle to them and not let them bring it to us.

As one who spent time in the Navy during another unpopular war (Vietnam) I want to thank the military personnel who are working hard to protect this nation from terrorists. I appreciate the sacrifices you are making, and I want you to know that I pray for you regularly. I also want to thank every veteran who has served in our armed forces for serving your country and protecting our freedoms. You are remembered and appreciated. God bless you and may God bless the United States of America.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stand up, Stand up for the soldier you mighty men of God. I my self never served in the service, Vietnam war ended in 1972 I graduated from high school in 1973, but I never took it for granted what sacrific was being made by those whom I knew went to the war. All of my uncles and my father served in the military which I heard stories of their experiences. The children of today and maybe even yesterday have gotten away from wanting to listen to the stories told by those who have experienced life. They are too eager to watch fiction on the screen or interact with the fiction that they control with a joy stick.

So listen, listen to the sounds that inform and teach, teach of the truth. Be ready willing and able to share the stories of your life with those younger than yourself even if it is only one.

We dedicate a portion of every Wednesday's prayer meeting to pray for the service men associated with our church along with the entire armed forces. We post their pictures in uniform in the vestibule. If you want our church to pray for your service man or woman, send a picture and name to RevDannyPayne@aol.com

Dennis Bickers said...

Thanks for your comments and your prayers for our service men and women. Every time I attend a Promise Keeper's event or the Southern Gospel Quartet Convention in Louisville, KY there is always a time when active duty service men and women and veterans are asked to stand and be recognized. I had tears in my eyes the first time I stood up and everyone began applauding. There were no parades when we Vietnam vets came home, and it was nice that someone was finally saying "thank you." We always need to remember the sacrifices made by those who serve in the military and appreciate the freedoms they ensure are not taken away.

I recently saw a bumper sticker that said, "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran." I gave the driver a thumbs up when I passed him.